Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Which are the best tanning lotions for men?
What makes them better for men than women?
Those are the questions I’ll answer today.
You might also be wondering whether you need a tanning lotion at all.
- Why Tanning with Lotion Is Better for Your Skin
- Do Tanning Lotions Prevent Skin Cancer?
- 22 Best Tanning Lotions for Men (2020 Update)
- 1. Millennium Tanning Products Dark Tanning Lotion, 100x
- 2. Millennium Tanning Paint It Black 50X
- 3. Millennium Tanning Products – Paint It Black Hemp Bronzer & Dark Tanning Lotion
- 4. Black & Tan 75x Indoor Tanning Bed Bronzer
- 5. Devoted Creations – H.I.M. TITANIUM Bronzer
- 6. Devoted Creations H.I.M Gold Edition
- 7. DEVOTED CREATIONS H.I.M Chrome Natural Bronzer
- 8. Devoted Creations H.I.M. Black Edition
- 9. Devoted Creations H.I.M. EXTREME Bronzer with Hemp
- 10. Devoted Creations #TANLIFE Hydrating Tanning Butter
- 11. Designer Skin Command Tanning Lotion
- 12. Devoted Creations CAMO KING Black Bronzing Lotion
- 13. Hempz MEN EXCLUSIVE BLACK BRONZER
- 14. Ed Hardy Black Reserve Bronzer Tanning Lotion by Tanovations
- 15. Ed Hardy Peace & Harmony Tanning Intensifier Bronzing Lotion
- 16. Ed Hardy Get Ripped Cooling Bronzer Tanning Lotion
- 17. Die Hard Black Ed Hardy Maximum Bronzing Indoor Tanning Lotion
- 18. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
- 19. NEW G GENTLEMEN® ADVANCED BLACK BRONZER by Australian Gold
- 20. Australian Gold DARK TANNING ACCELERATOR Lotion
- 21. Pro Tan For Men Ultra Dark Maximizer
- 22. Pro Tan Man Up You’re The Man Magnum Dark Tanning Lotion
- 23. JACK BLACK – Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25
- Outdoor Tanning
- Sunless Tanning
Why Tanning with Lotion Is Better for Your Skin
A recent survey found that about 2 million men in the USA tan indoors (1).
That statistic doesn’t take into account that many men also tan outdoors.
In either case, tanning without a lotion leads to premature aging.
Your skin dehydrates while free radicals damage collagen and make you wrinkle.
You also won’t tan as well because dry skin ends up ashy, not bronze.
Take a moment to rub on lotion to keep your skin healthier.
They have moisturizers and antioxidants to provide protection.
And if you’re wondering which one to choose, the best lotion for you is the one you’re most likely to use.
Do Tanning Lotions Prevent Skin Cancer?
Nope, tanning lotions don’t block UV radiation.
In many cases, they intensify it. For example, tanning accelerators stimulate melanin production to get you darker faster.
Unfortunately, tanning puts you at a significantly higher risk for skin cancer. Even one session can increase your chances by 20% (1).
Pro golfers who never worried about being out in the sun are now dealing with basal cell carcinoma and melanoma. They are telling other golfers to put on sunscreen before hitting the course (2).
Also, remember the lip balm and sunglasses (or goggles) when you tan.
Now let’s discover the top tanning lotions made for men.
22 Best Tanning Lotions for Men (2020 Update)
1. Millennium Tanning Products Dark Tanning Lotion, 100x
We’ll begin with the 100x silicone bronzer from Millennium Tanning. It enhances your tan but also gives you a little bit of instant color. It looks great if you aren’t winter-pale, to begin with.
Let me warn you right off that it has an Orchid Blush fragrance, which some men won’t appreciate. But this popular tanning lotion works well if you need to maximize your time in the sunbed.
Skip the shower right after your session and let the lotion work for the next 4 to 6 hours. That’s because it has DHA (dihydroxyacetone) to develop a golden tone in your skin. It’s a sunless tanning ingredient (3).
2. Millennium Tanning Paint It Black 50X
The Paint It Black 50X bronzer is better for men who have fair skin because the bronzers look more natural. Also, the Cotton Blossom Fragrance is a clean, neutral scent.
The silicone-based lotion absorbs quickly and leaves the skin smooth as silk without feeling greasy or tacky. It also has skin-firming properties.
3. Millennium Tanning Products – Paint It Black Hemp Bronzer & Dark Tanning Lotion
There are two differences between this lotion and the one above
To begin with, this one has a mango citrus aroma. And next, it’s infused with hemp seed oil, which is an excellent moisturizer.
4. Black & Tan 75x Indoor Tanning Bed Bronzer
This silicone bronzer deepens your color gradually over the next few hours. It’s a mild tingle lotion that provides a warming sensation. Use it once you have a base tan.
The dual purpose of the tingle is to speed up circulation to your skin and make tanning a more sensual experience.
It has a fresh pomegranate scent that fades quickly.
5. Devoted Creations – H.I.M. TITANIUM Bronzer
Devoted Creations has an entire lineup dedicated to men. Their H.I.M. series starts with this Titanium Bronzer. It provides a sun-kissed glow instantly.
It has multiple benefits besides the masculine fragrance.
First, it prevents tattoos from fading.
Second, it deodorizes your skin so that you don’t have that burned after-tanning odor.
And third, it reduces redness in case you overdo it.
6. Devoted Creations H.I.M Gold Edition
The Gold Edition works for indoor and outdoor tanning. It protects tattoos from fading and enhances the color of the ink.
If you care about your appearance, this is a good tanning lotion to use. It has Matrixyl Synthe 6 that erases fine lines. Next, there’s Tamanu oil to clear up acne and fade stretch marks. And finally, avocado extract diminishes redness and soothes razor burn.
7. DEVOTED CREATIONS H.I.M Chrome Natural Bronzer
The Chrome Bronzer is ideal if you have oily skin. It soaks up excess oil and deodorizes to keep you looking clean and smelling fresh.
Although there is no DHA, it has cosmetic bronzers to hide that ghostly white skin. It also prevents tattoos from fading.
8. Devoted Creations H.I.M. Black Edition
The Black Edition also absorbs oil and instantly bronzes your skin. Then, the color deepens over time with the help of DHA and erythrulose.
It protects your tattoos and erases fine lines. Best of all, the lotion helps you keep your tan for longer with Sunxtend technology.
9. Devoted Creations H.I.M. EXTREME Bronzer with Hemp
The Extreme Bronzer smells like cologne and prevents the burned odor from tanning.
Meanwhile, instant and time-released bronzers will make you look like you spent days in the sun.
Additionally, the formula firms the skin and protects tattoos.
10. Devoted Creations #TANLIFE Hydrating Tanning Butter
Another of the best tanning lotions for fair skin is #TANLIFE. It’s perfect if you have sensitive skin, too.
The hypoallergenic formula is based on shea butter. This excellent moisturizer never feels greasy.
It melts into the skin to prevent body ink from fading and keeps you touchably soft.
11. Designer Skin Command Tanning Lotion
The Command lotion has a quadruple bronzer to turn you into a sun god. It protects tattoos with green tea and licorice. At the same time, the fragrance keeps you smelling fresh.
12. Devoted Creations CAMO KING Black Bronzing Lotion
The Camo King is like a BB cream for your body.
You might be wondering what a BB cream is, so I’ll tell you. It’s a combination of moisturizer and makeup that noticeably improves your appearance with as little effort as possible.
This lotion firms the skin, adds instant color, and protects tattoos. It reduces oiliness and deodorizes to make you look and feel fresh and clean.
13. Hempz MEN EXCLUSIVE BLACK BRONZER
If you want to maintain a youthful appearance, try the Hempz Exclusive Black Bronzer. It has an anti-aging blend with vitamins, green tea, and willow bark extract.
The formula shields tattoos with minerals, algae, and aloe. Your ink may end up looking brighter and crisper than it has for a while.
Plus, it’s vegan, free of parabens, and doesn’t have gluten, either.
14. Ed Hardy Black Reserve Bronzer Tanning Lotion by Tanovations
The Ed Hardy brand is gradually merging into Tanovations, so don’t be alarmed if your bottle has a different label. The ingredients are the same.
The Black Reserve is packed with dark bronzing ingredients and pigment-producing stimulators. It’s also rich in hemp seed oil to lock in moisture.
Happily, the iced black cranberry fragrance prevents the after-tanning odor.
15. Ed Hardy Peace & Harmony Tanning Intensifier Bronzing Lotion
The light tropical fragrance of this lotion may put a smile on your face. Peace & Harmony has several benefits for the man who wants to look his best.
Foremost, it’s free of nuts, gluten, oils, and parabens. Next, it firms and enriches the skin with wheat proteins and green tea.
While melanin activators help you tan naturally, cotton and rice calm irritation.
16. Ed Hardy Get Ripped Cooling Bronzer Tanning Lotion
It gets hot when you tan, so cool down with this lotion. It has ingredients that create a cooling sensation to refresh you. It also smells masculine and deodorizes your body.
Although it bronzes your skin, it also keeps your tattoos looking bright.
Proprietary technology like Nouritan boosts tyrosine to produce more melanin and deepen your color.
17. Die Hard Black Ed Hardy Maximum Bronzing Indoor Tanning Lotion
The Die Hard lotion has bronzers and melanin activators. Together, they deepen your natural color to the max.
Like many lotions from Ed Hardy, this one has anti-aging benefits that immediately improve your appearance. It conditions your skin with hemp seed, Macadamia nut, and almond oils. It also minimizes stretch marks with green tea.
18. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
What is the top-rated tanning bed lotion? At any given time, it’s likely to be Coconut Kisses.
This coconut-scented tanning lotion is a favorite for both men and women. You can enjoy it indoors or outside. Either way, the deeply-moisturizing formula enhances your ability to tan.
It also makes cellulite less noticeable and protects tattoos from fading.
19. NEW G GENTLEMEN® ADVANCED BLACK BRONZER by Australian Gold
The New G Advanced formula has more bronzer than other G lotions. It provides instant and delayed color while it smooths rough skin. Moreover, it protects tattoos.
The appealing fragrance is a blend of orange, cedar, moss, and other natural scents.
20. Australian Gold DARK TANNING ACCELERATOR Lotion
The Australian Gold tanning accelerator smells like coconuts and works well for both men and women. Users with fair skin say that it’s perfect for building a base tan in as little time as possible.
The formula has Vitamins A and E, which are antioxidants that prevent premature aging.
21. Pro Tan For Men Ultra Dark Maximizer
Pro Tan used to package this lotion as Playboy Brand. But only the name has changed.
Just as in the original, it has beer extract and whey protein to condition your skin. The non-greasy texture sinks in fast to enhance your natural color. It also defends tattoos with minerals, algae, and aloe vera.
22. Pro Tan Man Up You’re The Man Magnum Dark Tanning Lotion
Pro Tan’s Magnum lotion has a vanilla scent and a creamy texture. It’s made for those who are building a base tan. There are no instant bronzers, but it will improve your skin’s texture and sheen.
One of the critical ingredients is Unipertan, which is clinically proven to speed up the tanning process (5).
23. JACK BLACK – Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25
It’s not a tanning lotion, but it’s essential. Never forget to apply lip balm with sunscreen because your lips will burn, not tan.
This award-winning formula from Jack Black has been tested in extreme conditions and still comes through like a champ.
It’s available in several flavors like fresh mint, grapefruit and ginger, and black tea and blackberry.
Not all men go for indoor tanning. If you prefer to bronze outdoors, consider the options below.
24. Sun Bum Natural Browning Lotion
Sun Bum employees are experts in catching rays. Their Browning Lotion has no sunscreen in it, but you can apply sunscreen underneath. It will still help you deepen your color.
Some of the key ingredients are certified organic coconut oil, aloe, green tea butter, and Kona coffee plant extract.
The lotion is brown in color, so it may transfer to your towel if you don’t rub it in well. The tint helps you figure out where you’ve applied it already.
25. Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen Protective Dark Tanning
Hawaiian Tropic provides a minimal amount of sunscreen in their tanning oil. It extends the time you can spend outdoors in the sun before you burn. It’s also water-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
Not only does it filter out UVB that causes sunburn, but it also has UVA protection to prevent wrinkles in the future.
Of course, pretty much everyone loves the classic coconut fragrance.
You might prefer a self-tanner if you are wary of skin cancer. Sunless tanning lotions are also convenient when you want to look sun-kissed immediately.
26. St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse
What is the best self-tanner for men? Without a doubt, it’s St. Tropez mousse.
It’s effortless to apply, it dries super fast, and you can control how dark the color gets.
When you use St. Tropez, the bronze lasts for up to 10 days, and it fades evenly.
You also won’t have to worry about streaking or turning orange.
You’ll need to exfoliate your skin with a loofah in the shower first to use this product. Also, shave or depilate unwanted hair.
It’s easiest to apply if you use the applicator mitt that’s sold separately.
Rub a thin layer of oil-free moisturizer on places with thin skin like elbows and kneecaps. Then apply the mousse to dry skin with long, sweeping motions.
It dries in about a minute; then you can dress.
Wait at least four hours before you shower, or eight hours for the deepest color. Be sure to apply moisturizer each day to extend your tan.
Tanning lotion is made to help you achieve the dark color you desire.
You need it to get bronzed as fast as possible and minimize the damage to your skin.
If you discovered a tanning lotion today that works well for you, please tell me about it in the comments below.
1. https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care accessed August 27, 2019
2. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/were-in-trouble-skin-cancer-is-on-the-rise-and-not-just-for-golfers by David Owen, published June 6, 2019, accessed August 27, 2019
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydroxyacetone accessed August 27, 2019
4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BB_cream accessed August 27, 2019